Friday, September 27, 2013

My Pick Album #2: Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons Paint That Shit Gold [Hip Hop, Alt Hip Hop] 2008



This was the first album I heard from the group Atmosphere.  I saw the music video for the track Guarantees and fell in love.  I don't know how many times I have listened to this album, but its safe to say that it is probably too much.  I like this style of hip hop where its smart, not all about how good you are at rhyming or what you are doing at the club.  Each song is a look into someone's life, sometimes his own, sometimes a child, sometimes a single mother.  It really shows the struggles people go through on a daily basis.  Slug is great at creating lyrics that convey that story and really paint a picture.  Ant makes some really great beats in this that are very different than a lot of other stuff out there.  I got really into this group for a while this year, but have still missed what a lot consider to be their best album "Lucy Ford" which is on my list much later on.  I can't wait to come that one.


Favorite track: In Her Music Box or Guarantees
Spotify: Atmosphere – When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold - Standard Edition
If you like this, then try these: Blackalicious – A2G EP, Aesop Rock – None Shall Pass

No comments:

Post a Comment