Saturday, September 14, 2013

Album #4: Tears for Fears - The Hurting [New Wave, Dark Wave, Synthpop, Post-Punk] 1983


Another one of those albums that defines the genre.  This is pure New Wave to me.  To this day anytime I hear New Wave, I can't help but think of this clip from the movie SLC Punk:


On the the album itself and away from my previous biases......erhmm.  This was good.  I liked it a lot.  I knew the song Mad World from before, but mostly from the Gary Jules version in Donnie Darko.  Other than Mad World the rest of the album sounds pretty similar to the rest of it.  I did really like the song Pale Shelter, but those two were the only ones that really stood out to me.  I had listened to most of the album before I realized it and had to actually go back and relisten to tracks that had just slipped by me.  This album makes great background music and can really make time slip away from you if you aren't paying attention.  It's a good album, but I don't think I'm going to keep this one around much.

Favorite track: Pale Shelter
Spotify: Tears For Fears – The Hurting
If you like this, then try these: All I can think of is Duran Duran and A Flock Of Seagulls, but I haven't listened to a lot of New Wave so I don't have much to compare it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment