Saturday, September 14, 2013

Album #5: Devin Townsend - Terria [Prog Metal, Prog Rock, Alt Rock] 2001


I was told going into this album by a coworker not to take Townsend seriously.  I didn't understand until the song Earth Day started and I couldn't help but laugh.  With lyrics like "Eat your beets, recycle...recycle... Don't eat your beets, recycle...recycle" who wouldn't laugh a little.  All I could think of was The Beets from Doug went metal.  Other than the ridiculousness of the lyrics at times, this is a great album.  Awesome technical guitar and drums with someone who can sing classic metal.  There were a few times were I felt like it was overly proggy, but that's the style of the album and I can't fault it for that.  At one point during The Fluke I thought to myself that this is what it would sound like if Dethklok sang and covered Kilroy Was Here by Styx.  Why do I make these weird connections?  I don't know, but that's what came to mind.  I really like Nobody's Here, which is weird because its very ballad like and that's not normally my style.

Favorite track: Nobody's Here
Spotify: Devin Townsend – Terria
If you like this, then try these: Dream Theater – Octavarium

No comments:

Post a Comment